What Are The Best Uses of Angle Grinder/An angle grinder, also known as a side grinder or disc grinder, is a handheld power tool used for grinding (abrasive cutting) and polishing. Although developed originally as tools for rigid abrasive discs, the availability of an interchangeable power source has encouraged their use with a wide variety of cutters and attachments.
Angle grinders can be powered by an electric motor, petrol engine or compressed air. The motor drives a geared head at a right-angle on which is mounted an abrasive disc or a thinner cut-off disc, either of which can be replaced when worn. Angle grinders typically have an adjustable guard and a side-handle for two-handed operation. Certain angle grinders, depending on their speed range, can be used as sanders, employing a sanding disc with a backing pad or disc. The backing system is typically made of hard plastic, phenolic resin, or medium-hard rubber depending on the amount of flexibility desired.
To those of you who might not familiar with Angle Grinders before, according to Wikipedia, angle grinder is a tool that is mostly used to polish, cut, grind, or sand materials. Sometimes, this tool is called “disc grinder” or “side grinder”. Since it is handheld, it is easy to learn and use even you are new to the tool.
Side Grinder or Disc Grinder For All Time
View The Best Angle Grinder for the Money, Below.
- Makita 9557PBX1 Angle Grinder.
- Metabo WEV15-125 Angle Grinder.
- Black & Decker BDEG400 Angle Grinder.
- PORTER-CABLE PCE810 Angle Grinder.
- DEWALT DWE402 Paddle Switch Angle Grinder.
- Hitachi G12SQ Paddle Switch Angle Grinder.
- Bosch 1375A Angle Grinder.
- Makita 9564CV Angle Grinder
- DEWALT DWE402 Angle Grinder – Best for the Money.
- Makita XAG03Z 18V LXT Cordless Angle Grinder.
- Makita 9557PBX1 Angle Grinder – Great for Concrete.
- PORTER-CABLE PC60TPAG Angle Grinder.
Let me introduce the first one on the list. This is from SKIL. Some of you might hear about SKIL but some might not. SKIL is actually reputable when it comes to tools. This 9296-01 is indeed powerful. It can perform up to 11,000 RPM (rounds per minute). With the item weight of 6.1 pounds, it is light enough for use to hold and perform our work without any interference at all times.
Last but not least, I like this one because it is built for safety. It will automatically switch off when you drop or release it after performing.
SKIL 9296-01 7.5-Amp 4-1/2-Inch Paddle Switch Angle Grinder
- Powerful 7.5 Amp Motor with 11,000 RPM
- Paddle Switch with no Lock-on: Preferred/Mandated switch at many jobsites
- Heavy duty metal gear housing for added ruggedness and durability
- Vibration-reducing handle with wrench storage
- Tool-less guard for quick adjustments
If you prefer a lightweight one, then this one from Bosch is even better than the one mentioned above. Weighing only 5 pounds, and features 6.0 amp, this angle grinder can perform up to 11,000 no-load RPM. As you can see, even it is small, but it can provide maximum power for your needs. The side handle can be adjusted. Still, it is recommended that you change it to the original side for maximum comfort. Compact, powerful, and comfortable, these are all you need when choosing the right angle grinder.
Amazon Best Seller
BOSCH 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder 1375A
- Compact: Weighing only 3.75 pounds, the Bosch 1375A Angle Grinder is lightweight, compact, and ideal for metal workers, vehicle fabricators, plumbers and other professionals who use grinders on a daily basis
- Power: The angle grinder features a Powerful 6.0 amp motor to produce 11,000 no load rpm for professional cutting and grinding applications; The Efficient motor was designed with an extremely small field diameter, letting the user grind or cut with ease
- Comfort: The 1375A offers a 2 position side auxiliary handle specifically designed to angle to a natural position for maximum operator comfort; The top handle of the angle grinder is also ergonomically designed
- Convenient: The angle grinder also features Bosch’s Service Minder Brush System to eliminate guesswork and stops the tool when preventative maintenance is required; A 5/8 inches to 11 inch spindle works with a wide array of sizes, mounting the most popular accessories
- Durable: The 1375A angle grinder features an epoxy coated design to protect the tool from abrasive debris; It was also designed with a sealed switch to keep dust and debris from entering the switch mechanism
If you are familiar with an angle grinder, you will find one irritating problem; it is the locking position. Most of the people I know, always complain about having not enough locking positions. Luckily, with Metabo W9-115, you will have more than enough 7 locking positions that are actually tool-free adjustable guard.
Furthermore, if you care about the safety of AD/DC, this one is also the right fit for you. It is suitable for both AC/DC, allows you to feel maximum comfort about your safety.
Last but not least, unlike the two above, this one is a bit powerful because it comes with 8.5 Amp, yet the maximum speed is only 10,500 rpm. Check it out for full information!
If you just finished reading number above and still feel dissatisfied with them because you want a more powerful tool, then this one is just right for you. This one from DEWALT is very powerful since it comes with 13.0 Amp.
The only downside is that the maximum speed is only 8,000 RPM. So if you really think you want a fast angle grinder, then you might need to take a look for another option on the list.
I am sure you are familiar with Milwaukee, and I guess there is no need to mention how high its quality is. Coming in the top 5 of the list, this Milwaukee 2780-20 is known for its durability and comfortability of use. To me, I love its color. As a tool, a red color makes it very clear and visible.
Amazon Best Seller
Milwaukee 2780-20 M18 Fuel 4-1/2"/5" Pad, Bare
- POWERSTATE Brushless Motor: Delivers maximum power and up to 10X longer motor life
- REDLINK PLUS Intelligence provides optimized performance, electronic clutch, and overload protection using total system communication between tool, battery and charger
- REDLITHIUM XC5.0 Battery Pack (not included) provides superior pack construction, electronics, and performance to deliver 2X more run-time and more work over pack life
- POWER TO GRIND: World’s first cordless grinder with corded performance.
- DURABILITY: Same metal housing & gearing system as legendary high performance corded grinders
- 100% tool free: Make all accessory changes and guard adjustments without a wrench for increased productivity
- Paddle-switch design: Provides increased comfort and ease-of-use when operating in various positions
Hitachi is a well-known Japanese company for its technology for a very long duration of time. This Hitachi G12VA runs with 1,500 watts output and 13 Amp. There is also an anti-vibration on the handle to make sure that the user can hold the tool tight without shaking.
Furthermore, the speed switch provides a variety of options for different kinds of work and application. There are some more models from Hitachi with the differences of Amp ranging from 5.1 to 13 Amp. You can check and compare them out!
As stated very clearly on the title, this one can run from 2,800 to 11,00 RPM with 13.5 Amp. Being able to select the speed is very advantageous when you perform a varied range of applications or performance.
As this one is built-for-last, it has a protection system for excess heating that comes from too much usage. Therefore, you do not need to care about the durability of this item. Even you might think that the price is a bit high compared to the other on the list, but my word for this one is: it is surely worth its price!
To the nearest top of the list, we have another one from DEWALT. DEWALT DWE402K comes with the Kit Box. As you are considering having a tool, it is always a good idea to get the kit box to keep your things organized. Without a doubt, this is one of the best angle grinders in the market right now.
Moreover, the best thing about this item is that there is a system which they called “Dust rejection system.” This one will make sure your tools are always clean and neat to prolong its durability.
On top of that, you will never worry about making a rotation for this. As it comes with a one-touch guard that allows you to rotate it in 360 degrees. Last but not least, safety is very important. This is why there is lock prevention so that the chance of unintended startup is reduced and prevented.
DEWALT Angle Grinder Tool, 4-1/2-Inch, 11-Amp (DWE402K)
- 11 Amp AC/DC 11,000 RPM motor of the angle grinder is designed for faster material removal and higher overload protection
- Dust Ejection System provides durability by ejecting damaging dust and debris particles that enter the metal grinder through the air intake vents
- DEWALT angle grinder comes with low profile gear case allowing access into tight spaces
- Quick-Change wheel release allows tool free wheel removal without the need for a wrench
- One-Touch Guard allows for 360 degree rotation of the guard in a single action
- Paddle switch with safety lock-off prevents accidental start up
- Matching wheel flanges allow the use of common accessories
The reason that this one from Makita is at the top of the list and become the best Angle Grinders is that it comes in a bundle. With your purchase, you will get 3 items includes: 1 of Makita 9557PBX1 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder with Aluminum Case, Makita VC4710 12-Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum, and 1 of Makita 193794-5. The price of this bundle is perfect for you if you are a professional. And if you are new to angle grinders and these kinds of tools, it is a good time to learn how to use all of them in one sitting.
Makita is a well-known brand when talking about home tools. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. And all I can tell is that, for sure, this bundle is an excellent choice for you. For further detail, check it out right now.
Makita 9557PBX1 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder w/ Case, Diamond Blade, 5 Grinding Wheels, Wheel Guards, 193794-5 Cutting Guard, & VC4710 12 Gallon Xtract Vac Wet/Dry Dust Extractor/Vacuum
- OSHA Compliant (Rule 29 CFR 1926.1153), Table 1 of Specified Exposure Control Methods. *Must properly implement engineering controls, work practices, & respiratory protection as specified in Table 1
- Vacuum's powerful 12 AMP motor generates 135 CFM of suction power and 92" of water lift
- Vacuum's Automatic Filter Cleaning System with dual filter blow-back design is timed at set intervals to maintain consistent suction performance and longer filter life
- Vacuum's efficient two stage filtration system with main nano filter set captures 99.95% particles 2 microns and larger
- Grinder's powerful 7.5 AMP motor delivers 11,000 RPM for high output power; Includes aluminum case, diamond blade, 5 grinding wheels, cut-off & grinding wheel guards
- Dust Extraction Cutting Guard designed for dust extraction / quick clean-ups during cutting applications
Be Safe – Reducing Harmfulness While Using Angle Grinder
Although it is easy to learn and easy to use, be aware that this tool should never be in touch with children. It can also be harmful to adults and professionals if used without proper care. Here are some tips on how you can reduce harmfulness while using it:
- Lowest Speed – If you are new to an angle grinder, you are recommended to set the lowest speed as possible. If there is any harm happens, at least it can reduce the risk.
- Wear Proper Goggle – During the operation, there will be dust created in the environment. It is advisable that you were safety goggle correctly.
- Wear Proper Mask – Like stated below, there will be dust. So it is a smart idea that you cover your nose and mouse with a dust mask to prevent yourself from any unpredictable circumstances.
- Ask Expert – Angle grinder is not a toy for anyone to play around with. If you are not clearly sure what to do with the tools, ask your nearest expert to explain the whole process. It is always good to learn things from an expert rather than figuring it out by yourself and still being unclear.
What is the use of Grinding Machine?
A grinding machine, otherwise known as an angle grinder or side or disc grinders, is a commonly used tool in auto repair shops, workshops, and construction sites, and comes in a large variety of sizes and motor power. Designed for cutting metal and stone, the blades (cutting discs) vary according to the material on which it’s being used.
Angle grinders are categorized by their disc size (from 4 to 12 inches), wheel size, and amperage. For most DIY projects, discs that are 4 to 4.5 inches will suffice for general tasks. When operating this tool, please follow these safety precautions:
- Wear a face shield and safe work gloves.
- Unplug the grinder when switching wheels.
- Make sure the handle is attached, and maintain a firm grip.
- Use the guard, if possible.
- For new wheels, run the unit for a minute or so in a protected area before using them to ensure there are no defects.
- Position the work so the debris flies downward, and the wheel spins away from, not into, sharp edges. Wheels can catch onto an edge and cause the object to throw, or kickback.
- Keep sparks away from flammable objects.
- Always secure the workpiece.
- Keep everyone away from your project while working.
What Can You Do With An Angle Grinder?
The cool thing about angle grinders is how versatile they are. There are many different sizes, but most tasks can be completed with the popular 4-inch to 4 1/2-inch grinder. These tools are made for grinding metal, cutting rebar, tile and stucco, routing out the mortar, for polishing, sanding, and sharpening and is an invaluable tool for any workshop, service garage, auto repair shop, or home hobbyist. Although there are some safety risks involved with using this tool, many models are designed to ensure optimum safety while delivering on performance. Here are a few main purposes of a grinder
- Cleaning – Angle grinders make a great tool for cleaning caked-on cement and rust from tools by attaching a wire cup. Make sure the brush is spinning away from the edge of the tool, or you could experience kick-back.
- Cutting Rebar – To cut through tough rebar in concrete, attach a metal cutoff wheel, and make sure your tool is secured tightly. Drop the cutoff wheel right through the metal allowing the weight of the tool to control the drop. Using angle grinders rather than hacksaws are much quicker and easier, making this versatile tool hard to beat.
- Scoring Tile – Using a diamond blade, you can score right through the middle of a tile – for instance, to cut a hole for an outlet – by first marking the outline of the size of the hole, then securing the tile down to your workbench with a clamp. Score about 1/8 inch deep on the front of the tile with your grinder, which is a much easier job than with a tile cutter.
- Sharpening Blades – For sharpening your other tools, an angle grinder can’t be beaten for its ease of use and power. Secure the blade in a vise or with hand clamps, then position the tool and adjust the blade guard to avert the sparks from your face and body. Then, align the grinding wheel with the angle on the blade, start the grinder and move the wheel across the blade while applying light pressure.
- Grinding out mortar – With a tuckpointing wheel, you can easily grind out old, loose mortar by making two-three 1/2-inch deep drills to completely clear out the joint, keeping about 1/8-inch away from the brick.
Which Is The Best Side Grinder or Disc Grinder For 2020
Angle grinders, to those who have worked with them, are an indispensable tool for making those cutting and grinding projects go so much faster and easier than using other tools. And those who are more experienced in operating this tool know what to look for – which is power, durability, and quality. In our exhaustive reviews, we have narrowed the selection down to the top three best on the market, based on these features.
- The Makita 9557PBX1 Angle Grinder – is designed to meet demanding consumer needs with a 7.5 amp motor made for efficiency, and higher performance in a more compact model. The durable aluminum case is made to withstand harsh treatment, boosting longevity to the tool, and there is an alternative power source that allows you to change between AC and DC power with a switch that is conveniently located on the side of the motor housing.
- The Metabo WEV15-125 Angle Grinder – is considered larger than average with a powerful, 1550 watt motor, this tool is well suited for grinding and finishing applications and has an impressive Long Life 13.5 amp, 2800-11000 rpm motor that includes an advanced design, optimizing airflow for a cooler run, and providing extended longevity in harsher environments. This tool offers up to 50 percent more torque. A motor this size is ideal for more demanding work like cutting cement, stucco, or rock.
- The Black & Decker BDEG400 Angle Grinder – is sleek, and a slender tool that is affordably priced and makes a nice, versatile option for many different facets of projects, including sharpening, surface preparation, grinding, and removing rust. This tool is capable of delivering 10,000 rpm per operation and includes a metal gear case that provides more durability and a longer lifespan. There is a three-position side handle that offers added comfort and better control when working with various materials and angles. For easy accessory switching, this tool has a handy spindle lock.
Unlike drill motors that run at about 700 to 1,200 rpm, grinders spin at a breakneck speed of 10,000 to 11,000 rpm. They’re fast enough to be scary! Follow these precautions for safe grinder use:
- Wear a face shield and gloves.
- Unplug the grinder when you’re changing wheels.
- Attach the handle and maintain a firm grip with both hands.
- Use the guard if possible.
- Run new wheels for one minute in a protected area before using them to make sure the wheel isn’t defective.
- Orient the work so debris is directed downward.
- Keep bystanders away. Everyone in the vicinity should wear safety glasses.
- Orient the work so the wheel spins away from, not into, sharp edges. Wheels, especially wire wheels, can catch on an edge and throw the workpiece or cause the grinder to kick back (Photo 1).
- Keep sparks away from flammable materials.
- Clamp or secure the workpiece in some fashion.
- Store angle grinders out of children’s reach.
There you go! The list of the Top 9 Best Angle Grinders. Each one on the list is the selection of the best. Choosing the right angle grinder will depend on what exactly is the purpose of our application and preference. Some of us might want the one that consumes less electricity, while some others prefer the big and powerful one. Whatever you want, check it out first to make sure you are choosing the right products.
Finally, it is essential to keep in mind that an angle grinder is a tool that is required careful attention when used. Therefore, make sure always to be safe before, while, or after using it!