At a glance......
- 1 What Is A Hybrid Bike?
- 2 List Of Top Best Hybrid Bicycles In 2020
- 2.1 Schwinn Discover Hybrid Bike (700C Wheels) For Men, Black
- 2.2 Vilano Diverse 3.0 Performance Hybrid Road Bike, 24-Speed
- 2.3 Schwinn Network 3.0 700C Hybrid Bicycle For Men, 18-Inch Frame
- 2.4 Schwinn Capitol 700c Wheel Hybrid Bicycle For Women, 16-Inch Frame Size
- 2.5 Sixthreezero Explore Your Range 7-Speed Hybrid Bicycle For Men, 20-Inch Frame
- 2.6 Diamondback Bicycles Women’s Vital 2 Complete Hybrid Bicycle
- 2.7 Sixthreezero EVRYjourney 26-Inch Men Hybrid Cruiser Bicycle, Matte Black
- 2.8 Diamondback Bicycles Insight 2 Hybrid Bike
- 3 Why Go For A Hybrid Bikes?
- 4 Buyer’s Guide To City and Hybrid Bikes
User Review( votes)
Top 10 Best Hybrid Bicycles/Hybrid bicycles blend characteristics from more specialized road bikes, touring bikes and mountain bikes. The resulting “hybrid” is a general-purpose bike that can tolerate a wide range of riding conditions and applications. Their stability, comfort, and ease of use make them popular with novice cyclists, casual riders, commuters, and children. Hybrids typically borrow the flat, straight handlebars and upright seating posture of a mountain bike, which many bicyclists find comfortable and intuitive. Hybrids also employ the lighter weight, thinner wheels and smooth tires of road bikes, allowing for greater speed and less exertion when riding on the road. Hybrid bikes often have places to mount racks and bags for transporting belongings, much like a touring bike.
Ask people to tell you the best hybrid bicycle and don’t be surprised to learn that most people are either clueless or have the wrong perception of the hybrid bike. And due to this, many people end up acquiring the wrong bike or not buying it at all. Fortunately, if you are having the same issue, then this is a good place for you. After reading this review, you’ll understand what a hybrid bike is, why people go for it and the 10 best hybrid bikes on the market.
What Is A Hybrid Bike?
A hybrid bike basically combines the different characteristics of different types of bikes. It will work like a mountain bike, touring bike, as well as a road bike. And despite blending the different designs and functionality, it will perform just as good as the specific bike if not better. People have been turning to this kind of bike because it delivers the best of all worlds and you don’t need to purchase a specific bike for the different terrains.
List Of Top Best Hybrid Bicycles In 2020
If you are a man looking for the best hybrid bicycle, then you shouldn’t look further than this bicycle from Schwinn. One thing I like about it is the beautiful and simple design that makes using it very easy and convenient. In fact, according to most bikers, this is undoubtedly one of the most user-friendly bikes. It features a lightweight but sturdy aluminum frame that can handle heavy men and is also very stable even in tough terrains. The handles are relatively long and this assures the user of the best comfort and features a 21-speed gear for smooth riding.
Finding a top-rated hybrid bicycle shouldn’t stress you anymore. What you need is this elegant and trendy bicycle from Vilano. It’s suitable for most people thanks to the excellent height that makes getting on and off very conveniently. And from what I’ve gathered from people, this bicycle is suited for most terrains, whether gravel, dirt, grass, or sand. It comes in a reasonably large saddle for the best support and has good padding for best comfort. The bicycle is very relaxing thanks to the nicely designed and long handlebars and rides smoothly courtesy of the 24-speed Shimano gear.
The Schwinn brand is not just known for suitable exercise/workout bicycles but also hybrid ones. This one in particular, ranks among the best from the manufacturer and is targeted at male riders who want the best all-around experience. The bike boasts of a durable aluminum frame to handle the rough terrains, road vibrations, knocks, user weight and environmental factors. It rides well thanks to the excellent suspension and the reliable 21-speed Shimano gear. To make the ride comfortable and prevent fatigue, it has a comfortable, well-padded seat and a suspension seat post.
You may think that this bicycle is not used for the rugged terrains because of the small frame. However, once you ride it, you’ll be impressed at how well it handles the different terrains. It rides smoothly and seamlessly on gravel, gravel, concrete, asphalt, rocky terrains and other places. The women’s bike has a lightweight frame and comes in a vibrant lavender color that is perfect for any woman. Like most bikes from the brand, it also features a quality 21 speeds Shimano EX-fire gear for smooth gear changes.
Coming in the matte black finish, this hybrid bicycle is perfect for most male riders and is suitable for leisure and hard riding. It’s ideal for many terrains and will ride thanks to the 700C wheels quietly. The bicycle has a light aluminum frame for easy maneuvering and a good suspension system for absorbing impact and shock. The Hybrid bicycle features a Shimano 7-speed gear mechanism for the best riding experience. Thanks to the double-walled rims, the tires will be well protected from the rough surfaces, whereas the large handlebars provide food comfort.
Featuring a high-quality aluminum frame, this hybrid bicycle will make riding in different terrains more comfortable and more relaxing. The women’s bike is ideal for the smooth asphalt, rough retrains, pebbles, gravel, dirt, grass, and other surfaces. Like other top hybrid bicycles, it features a relatively wide handlebar for a more relaxed and comfortable pose and also has a comfortable saddle. The bike’s good suspension minimizes the impact, shock, and vibrations allowing you to enjoy the ride, whereas the tough tires can put-up with the rugged surfaces.
The six three zero is famous and loved for producing some of the best hybrid bicycles on the market. In fact, many users state that the brand is a pacesetter in this field. Looking at this version, for instance, we can see that is has a very lightweight aluminum frame which provides the owner full control of the bicycles, especially in demanding situations. It’s has a nicely padded saddle that offers the rider with good comfort and has a nice contour and size for maximum support. The matte black bike features a dual-spring saddle for improved shock and impact absorption and the high-quality tires provide nice traction. And thanks to smooth and sleek finish cleaning, the bicycle is very easy.
This hybrid bicycle is one of the lightest on the market and weighs 14 grams, according to the manufacturer. However, despite the lightweight, the bike can handle heavy users without a problem. It’s made of high-grade stainless steel that is famed for its sturdiness and stability and will endure the rough surfaces, road vibrations, bangs and knocks pretty well. The wide handlebars are more comfortable than the normal type and are fairly wide for a better grip. This offers the rider better control and also prevents numb fingers or fatigue, especially after a long ride. It features quality saddle for the best seating and is well padded for maximum comfort.
Why Go For A Hybrid Bikes?
The following are the reasons that drive people to purchase a hybrid bike:
- Versatility – As stated earlier, this kind of bike combines the best of different bikes. It will have characteristics of a mountain, touring, road and other kinds of bikes.
- Affordability – Buying a specific bike for different terrains or activities will cost more than buying one bike and use it on various terrains. A hybrid bicycle is ideal for most locations and will work as well as any other bikes.
- Reliability – Due to their design and aim of fitting in varied situations, hybrid bikes are usually tougher than their counterparts. They will tolerate the harsh environments, handle heavy users, and provide good performance on any terrain.
- Comfortable – It has been noted that hybrid bicycles are more comfortable than a mountain, touring, or road bikes. They’ll come with bigger and better-padded seats, and the frame will also be very accommodative. The handlebars latter and longer and this enables the rider to feel more relaxed.
- Adaptable – Unlike other bikes, hybrid bikes are very adaptable. They will ride well on gravel, dirt, grass, sandy soil, rocky terrains, and other areas. This is one reason why the popularity of this bike has been rising.
- All-rounded – This type of bike is designed for everyday use and will come with more features than a road bike, mountain or any other bikes. Most will include mudguards, rack mountings for improved functionality.
Buyer’s Guide To City and Hybrid Bikes
Looking for an easy and affordable way to enjoy getting outside for fitness – and fresh air? Wishing you could find a stress-free and more manageable approach to running errands? Want a new outlet for commuting, or recreation, that is less aggressive than a traditional road bike but still lightweight and sporty and fun to ride?
These are the reasons many people choose a City or Hybrid bicycle. But this isn’t your mom or dad’s old bike. Older “vintage” bikes are often made of steel, fewer gears, and slower and heavier to ride. Advances in the engineering of bicycles and bicycle frames make these bikes faster, more responsive, and generally more fun to ride than what you might have experienced 10 or 15 years ago.
Read the guidelines here to learn more – and feel free to call with any questions. Even better, visit our store to see the different models, ask our staff about the type of bike that might be best for you, and try a few out for yourself. Nothing makes the decision easier than taking a few out for a test ride!
Start With These Questions
Here are a few easy questions/considerations to help you select the best bike:
- Where do you plan on riding?
- Is top quality a priority, or is affordability more important?
- Do you plan to lock your bike up on the street?
- Do you consistently select high-tech gadgets or do you prefer practical, simpler designs?
- What is your budget for this purchase? (This is an easy way to narrow down the selections.)
- What type of riding do you plan to do?
The last question is one of the best ways to determine which bike type is the correct choice. If you envision leisurely Sunday rides up the West Side Highway, occasional outings with friends in search of the perfect picnic spot and having fun while you exercise, commuting to or from work in a low-key experience, or running errands with a bike that is lightweight and easy to maintain, a hybrid or city bike is a great choice.
There is some variation within the models, to accommodate your preferences. Cruiser or comfort bikes will be slower but have a vintage appeal and their step-through features, suspension systems, and cushier saddles are friendlier for people less flexible or comfortable with their feet too far from the ground.
If you’re looking to commute, city and commuter bikes offer features such as racks, fenders, lights, bells, and kickstands – all you need to be equipped for the streets and tow your belongings.
If you plan to ride longer distances, climb hills and work a bit to get in better shape, you still want to be comfortable, but you’re interested in lightness, nimble handling, and even easy climbing, hybrid bikes are a perfect fit. A versatile jack-of-all-trades, hybrids are lighter and roll and pedal more easily than comfort bike. Some hybrids are designed for occasional off-road (trail) use, too.
So what other features vary between models? Tires are a simple but visible difference.
Comfort and cruiser bikes usually have a 26-inch tire standard commonly found on mountain bikes. These wide tires provide a comfortable cushion of air so you float over bumps and rough terrain. Plus, it’s possible to install knobby tires should you want to ride most of the time on dirt roads. 29er bikes have a knobby, mountain-style tire but in a 29-inch size.
Hybrid and city bikes usually (but not always) use the Road bike’s 700c tire standard. These are lighter to roll more easily on pavement for easy acceleration and climbing. There are 700c tires in different widths and treads for riding on all surfaces.
Besides this wheel difference, there are other distinguishing characteristics to understand that we explain in the following chart.
The frame is the backbone of any bicycle and, like other bike models, these bikes feature a variety of different frame materials. Here’s how they compare:
- Aluminum frame
PROS – Light, strong, affordable, rust/corrosion resistant, great ride
CONS – Somewhat heavier than carbon
- Carbon-fiber and Carbon/aluminum mix frame
PROS – Lightest, strongest and rust/corrosion resistant, smooth ride
CONS – Most expensive
A common feature on some of today’s comfort bikes is a suspension fork (photo at right). These compress to absorb impacts from bumps, cracks, ruts and obstacles. This insulates you from jolts for a smoother and more comfortable ride and ensures that you remain in control even over rough surfaces.
For riders looking for a more aggressive ride than a comfort bike, but the versatility of a city bike, we recommend 29er bikes. They are tough, and great for the road – and for having a little fun, too, while riding on and off curbs or other city environments.
Suspension seat posts are another excellent feature found on many Comfort bikes and Hybrids. They smooth rough terrain and pothole-covered roads absorbing vibrations. Keep in mind that, should you find a bike you love that doesn’t have a suspension seat post, it’s usually possible to add one, too (sold separately).
Some of the greatest advances in bicycle technology have been gearing. On modern bikes, it’s easier than ever to change gears and this means it’s easier to ride than ever, too.
This is one of the reasons why we recommend thinking about where you plan to ride your new bike. If where you ride is pretty flat, such as around lower Manhattan or up the West Side Highway, you can get by on a bike with fewer gears (or even a single speed) than if you plan to ride rolling or hilly terrain, such as in the Bronx, over the Brooklyn Bridge, or up the hills in Park Slope. This is where having a few gears comes in handy!
Regardless of which gearing you choose, modern bikes shift with a simple push of a button-style lever. Also, most Comfort and Hybrid bikes even show you exactly what gear you’re in – no more worrying about what gear you might be in.
Most Comfort bikes and Hybrids are equipped with rim brakes called linear- or direct-pull brakes (photo) or hub brakes, which are integral to the front and/or rear wheel hubs.
You may also see some bikes, such as 29ers, featuring disc brakes, the newest brake type, which sport calipers and rotors at the center of the wheels. Disc brakes are popular for offering more braking control in descents and can perform better in muddy situations.
Hub brakes are usually found on bicycles designed for less rigorous riding and are more designed for durability and low maintenance than extreme-conditions stopping power.
In general, any given bicycle will have brakes suited to the riding use it was designed for. For example, linear-pulls are powerful stoppers and excellent for all-round riding, from casual neighborhood rambles to commuting every workday, even in nasty weather.
Keep in mind that there’s nothing like a test ride to feel the difference in brakes and see what you like best. We can also make a recommendation based on the riding you plan to do.
Saddles offer perfect ergonomics, materials, and features to make them comfortable, versatile and supportive.
You’ll find anatomical shapes, cutouts to eliminate pressure on soft tissue (which prevents numbness and pain), flexible frames, gel padding and cushioning springs. Sometimes, all of these things in the same seat, even.
Still, the most important thing is making sure that the seat on the bike is the right one for you. Everyone’s different so you should sit on the seats and try them out to make sure that they’re right for you (we can easily swap seats, too). And, even on a great seat, it takes a few rides to get your body used to ride, so be sure to pedal for a few days before judging your new throne.
We’ll Make It Fit Like A Glove
It can be confusing to know your size in bicycles. While road bikes sizes are named such as 52, 54 or 60, hybrids and commuter bikes are usually either small/medium/large, or 15″, 17.5″ and 20″. As bicycle engineering has changed, size terminology has changed too. Don’t worry – we’ll help you be sure it fits properly.
Get Ready to Ride!
Don’t forget about the accessories you need for the road or bike path.
- In New York City, a bell and front and rear lights are required.
- You will also want to plan for a helmet purchase. Please note that helmets weaken with age – for your own safety, you shouldn’t ride in an old, worn-out one.
- And of course, you’ll also want a good lock!
Lastly, while not necessary, it’s a good idea if you’re going to be riding far from a repair shop to pick up a spare tube, tire levers and a portable pump so you can fix a flat tire if you should encounter one.
Miscellaneous accessories for fitness and commuting include all-weather cycling pants and jackets (our urban clothing is stylish but includes reflectors for night-riding!), cycling shoes to boost your pedal power, stylish, padded gloves, and waterproof, functional panniers or baskets for toting your belongings or a change of clothes.
We look forward to showing you our selection bikes. Browse our catalog (“shop”, above) and/or come on in. We genuinely want you to enjoy your cycling experience – and our wide selection and knowledgable staff is here to help you make a decision you’ll be thrilled with.
Here are some tips on how to choose the best Hybrid Bike
- For rides no more than 45 minutes – Play it safe and prioritize on sturdiness: a steel frame and rigid fork don’t need much adjustment and maintenance.
- For rides of 45 minutes to 2 hours – The bike’s weight will start to become more important. The best option is a frame made of aluminum. A suspension fork will make things more comfortable by absorbing bumps in the ground, potholes, etc. Ergonomic handlebars also keep you comfy as they are easier on your hands.
- For rides of more than 2 hours – Go for a light, comfy bike. The most important criteria to take into account are front and rear suspension, a gel saddle and strengthened wheels, more speeds so that you can tackle difficult hills, and disc brakes for more effective braking in all weather conditions.
You can also buy bike accessories for a safe and good experience while you’re on the road
- Side Stand – We have designed kickstands for parking a bike weighing no more than 25 kg (including luggage). Take a break whenever you like. The 500 chainstay stand is easy to mount and easy to use, letting you stop absolutely anywhere.
- Lock – A bike lock lets you protect your belongings from possible theft. It provides decent protection at a very affordable price.
- Bottle Cage – We design bottle cages for carrying a water bottle on your bike. They are lightweight and trendy, available in 6 colors so you can find one to match your bike.
- Frame Bag – Don’t leave your things behind anymore! Our teams developed this frame bag for transporting your mobile phone and small personal items. A bag that attaches behind the stem to keep your belongings in sight and within reach. A built-in smartphone holder lets you use your phone during the time of need.
- Bike Helmet – Use a mountain bike helmet to protect yourself from branches and impacts during your mountain bike rides. Our helmets are easy to position with two buckles under the ears and one under the chin. They are well ventilated with 15 vent openings!
Due to their all-rounded nature and versatility, hybrid bicycles are fast becoming a thing. People choose them because they are effective in different situations and perform just as good as the mountain or road bicycles. They are suitable for day-to-day use and come with more features for improved ease of use. Hybrid bicycles are more comfortable, tougher, and offer better support than other bikes. Other reasons why people go for these bicycles include affordability, reliability, durability, and convenience. Thus, choosing the best hybrid bicycle assures you of a good time riding.