At a glance......
- 1 Does Drinking Water Help You Lose Weight?
- 2 How Much Water To Drink In A Day For Weight Loss?
- 3 Benefits Of Drinking Enough Water
- 4 Benefits of Drinking Mineral Water
- 4.1 1. Promotes Bone Health
- 4.2 2. Regulates Body Fat
- 4.3 3. Blood Pressure Management
- 4.4 4. Reduces Cardiac Diseases
- 4.5 5. Reduces Acidity
- 4.6 6. Increases Physical Alertness
- 4.7 7. Increases Mental Alertness
- 4.8 8. Increases Skin’s Sheen
- 4.9 9. Eases Arthritis
- 4.10 10. Makes Hair Stronger
- 4.11 Top 10 Bottled Drinks Of Water
- 4.12 References
- 4.13 People Also Reading
User Review( vote)
How Much Water To Drink In A Day For Weight Loss?/Water is essential for life. From the time that primeval species ventured from the oceans to live on land, a major key to survival has been the prevention of dehydration. The critical adaptations cross an array of species, including man. Without water, humans can survive only for days. Water comprises from 75% body weight in infants to 55% in elderly and is essential for cellular homeostasis and life.[rx]Nevertheless, there are many unanswered questions about this most essential component of our body and our diet. The human body is composed of certain minerals that are considered essential for the proper growth and performance of the human brain and body. A deficiency of these minerals is an alarming situation for the brain. Mineral water comes as a rescue in such a scenario.
Drinking water is the best thing you can do to lose weight. Scientists and researchers agree that water reduces energy intake, increases satiety, and revs up metabolism. That’s why fitness experts advise drinking “more water.” But how much water is enough water to induce weight loss? Swipe up to find out.
Does Drinking Water Help You Lose Weight?
- Yes, drinking water aids weight loss. Research has confirmed that water helps increase thermogenesis [rx]. It increases heat production in the body, which essentially means your metabolism gets boosted.
- A Korean study states that water consumption before a meal prevents excess food consumption [rx].
- Another study by American scientists found that premeal water intake resulted in 2 kg greater weight loss and 44% more weight loss over 12 weeks in subjects as compared to people who did not consume premeal water [rx].
- Water also increases lipolysis or breaks down fat, which is then used as a source of fuel [rx].
- Replacing diet beverages with water decreases BMI (BMI determines whether you are underweight, overweight, or obese) and improves carbohydrate metabolism and insulin sensitivity [rx].
- Last, but not the least, water helps flush out toxins, thereby reducing toxin build-up and inflammation in the body.
- Drinking water can help you lose weight. It works by reducing food intake, increasing satiety, improving metabolism and insulin sensitivity, decreasing BMI, and stimulating fat breakdown. Drinking water helps increase thermogenesis, which helps burn calories. However, drinking water has to be complemented with a low-calorie diet and exercise.
- Water increases thermogenesis and helps burn calories. You will also feel less hungry and more satiated if you drink water 20-30 minutes before and after a meal.
- How much water should you drink per day to stimulate more calorie burn, fat breakdown, and increased satiety and insulin sensitivity? Let’s find out in the next section.
How Much Water To Drink In A Day For Weight Loss?
- Drink 2200 mL (women) or 3000 mL (men) of water per day if you do not work out [rx]. But if you work out regularly for 60 minutes, your water intake should be more. Drink 900 ml of water or sip on 150-300 mL of water every 15-20 minutes while exercising [rx, rx].
- You also have to keep the weather of a particular area in mind. Dry or humid areas can cause more water loss through sweating – This means you must keep sipping on at least 150-200 mL of water every 15 minutes if you sweat a lot.
- So, on an average, consume 4-5 liters (women) or 6-7 liters (men) of water for weight loss (if you participate in vigorous workout regularly and tend to sweat a lot).
- Also, water isn’t the only factor. Keeping your cells hydrated is important to support the detoxification and weight loss process. If the right mineral balance is not present in your cells, more fluid can be lost. The ideal amount is 500ml/d [rx].
Adequate electrolytes are needed for cellular detoxification, including weight loss. However, unless there is an extensive workout regimen, eating mineral-rich hydrating foods throughout the day should suffice. You can consume the following foods:
- Bell peppers
- Citrus fruit
- Iceberg lettuce
If you are planning on engaging in extreme fitness or activity, it is advisable to talk with a professional, such as a registered nutritionist or your primary health care professional, about increasing electrolyte doses.
Consume 2200 mL (women) or 3000 mL (men) of water per day for general health. As exercise increases, consider introducing hydrating foods and coconut water in your diet. Be mindful of electrolyte balance with extensive exercise. Now, let’s take a quick look at the benefits of drinking enough water per day.
Benefits Of Drinking Enough Water
- Water helps prevent non-communicable diseases [rx].
- Water helps lower toxicity in the body.
- Drinking adequate water helps reduce stress.
- Water boosts brain function and helps improve mood [rx]
- Water helps improve skin health [rx].
- Water, along with dietary fiber, helps improve bowel movement [rx].
- Keep yourself hydrated with water to get rid of toxins in your body and maintain good cell and brain functions.
Benefits of Drinking Mineral Water
1. Promotes Bone Health
Mineral water is rich in calcium. Calcium is the most important mineral involved in bone formation. Thus, the daily consumption of mineral water ensures a daily supplement of calcium in the body. It strengthens human bones, teeth and even nails against damage.
2. Regulates Body Fat
Mineral water is an essential fat-free supplement that offers a good amount of fat metabolizing minerals. It helps in fat breakdown, which is essential in burning a few extra layers of fat in the body. In simple terms, mineral water can make you slimmer and leaner. It is any day a better choice over aerated drinks and soda. Regular consumption of mineral water can surely help in weight management.
3. Blood Pressure Management
Mineral water is also a boon for people suffering from the problem of fluctuating levels of blood pressure. It is composed of magnesium and calcium. Both these minerals are actively involved in the electrolytic process of the human brain and body. This electrolytic balance is very essential for the maintenance of blood pressure in humans.
4. Reduces Cardiac Diseases
Mineral water has the power of metabolizing fat from the human body. This ensures that the production of bad cholesterol is hampered in the body. Bad cholesterol or LDL gets deposited in the adipose tissues and in and around the blood capillaries. It doesn’t circulate with the blood and narrows the openings of capillaries. This increases blood pressure, which increases the risk of heart attacks in heart patients. Mineral water hampers the growth and accumulation of LDL in capillaries. It reopens the blocked capillary pathways. Thus, it reduces the risk of cardiac diseases as well.
5. Reduces Acidity
Mineral water contains sulfates. Sulfates are catalysts for the pancreas to produce digestive enzymes like lipase and amylase. These digestive enzymes ease problems like bloating and constipation. It further lessens the coagulation of toxins in the duodenum and intestines. As a result, the problem of acidity is nullified with proper digestion.
6. Increases Physical Alertness
Mineral water is a mixture of different minerals like magnesium and potassium. These minerals are required for the proper growth and functioning of human muscles. They improve the response rate of muscles. The muscles become more supportive of contraction and expansion. Hence, mineral water increases physical alertness and the overall well-being of an individual.
7. Increases Mental Alertness
Potassium is also called as a memory charging mineral. It is an active constituent of the electrolyte in the brain. Hence, mineral water is a good option for boosting one’s memory and concentration. It increases mental alertness and hampers mental fatigue and lethargy.
Mineral water is a fresh source of skin-friendly silica particles. Silica is a natural secret to beautiful skin. It triggers the production of collagen in human skin. Increased collagen formation leads to reduced wrinkles, dark spots, and dullness. It makes the skin-blemish free, moist, supple and glowing.
Mineral water is also an amazing remedy for inflammation and pain caused due to arthritis. Its active minerals and compounds reduce inflammation related to rheumatoid arthritis. The anti-inflammatory benefits of mineral water also reduce the swelling in joints caused by this severe bone degenerative disorder.
10. Makes Hair Stronger
Hair health is an issue in the modern world. Pollution and the sun largely ruin hair quality. Mineral water restores the lost strength and sheen of hair by restoring the normal PH level of the scalp from within. It increases the supply of oxygen to the brain as well. This improves hair texture and imparts strength to each hair strand against damage caused due to sun and pollution.
Top 10 Bottled Drinks Of Water
- Voss Artesian Water. (Voss Water)
- Saint Geron Mineral Water. (Gayot.com)
- Hildon Natural Mineral Water. (Gayot.com)
- Evian Natural Spring Water. (Evian)
- Fiji Natural Artesian Water. (Gayot.com)
- Gerolsteiner Mineral Water. (Gayot.com)
- Ferrarelle Naturally Sparkling Mineral Water. (Gayot.com)
- Perrier Mineral Water. (Perrier)