At a glance......
User Review( votes)
Dhatri lauha vati a rich iron supplement. Dhatri lauh is a combination of two words. Dhatri means mother and lauh mean iron. Dhatri lauh vati is the mother of all medicines and it is a rich iron supplement. Dhatri Lauha is a herbomineral medicine referenced from Bhaishajyaratnavali, shularogadhikara (treatment of Gastric ulcer, Duodenal ulcer, Colic). It is a classical Ayurvedic medicine available in form of tablets and indicated to treat Amlapitta (Hyperacidity), Parinamasula (Duodenal ulcer), Ajirna (Dyspepsia or indigestion) and the disorders of the alimentary canal. Dhatri Lauha is prepared from four ingredients viz. Dhatri phyla, mulethi, giloy, and mineral Lauha bhasma
Home Made Ingredients of Dhatri lauha
- Dhatri ( Amalaki) (P.) 384 g
- Lauha churna – Bhasma 192 g
- Yashthimadhu raja (Yashthi) (Rt.) 96 g
- Amrita ( Guduchi) kwath (St.) Q.S. for bhavana
Method of Preparation
- Drugs 1 to 3 are powdered separately and mixed together and put in Amrita Kashaya for Bhavana. After seven days it is taken and dried in the sun. It is then mixed well.
- Amalki is also known as Dhatri in Sanskrit which means ‘supporter/ sustainer’ and ‘nurse’. So the name Dhatri signifies one that heals, supports and heals. Amla is the nutritive tonic of Ayurveda. It is healing and rejuvenating. Its intake gives good eyesight, keeps hair black and helps in better absorption of iron.
- Another important use of Dhatri or Amla in Ayurveda is to treat hyperacidity. Intake of Amla in form of juice or powder gives relief in acidity due to its pitta pacifying and cooling properties.
- In a clinical study, hyperacidity patients were given 9 to 13.5 g/day (in three divided doses) of Amla for an initial 2 weeks. This was followed by a dose of 6 to 9 g/day (two divided doses) for the rest of the total duration of 3 months.
- It was observed, the secretion of acid and pepsin significantly decreased. Complete radiological healing was seen in peptic-ulcer patients. There was marked symptomatic relief in most of the patients.
- It also increases in hemoglobin concentration. Both the prophylactic and curative properties of Amla have been observed in another study on experimental peptic ulcer. Amalaki powder produced symptomatic improvement, a significant reduction in gastric acidity response, and endoscopic healing. The second and important ingredient of Dhatri Lauha is Mulethi or licorice. Mulethi has anti-ulcer properties.
Benefits of Dhatri lauha
- It gives relief in hyperacidity.
- It reduces free and total acidity significantly.
- It contains Lauha Bhasma (Iron calcined) so it is also useful in treating anemia.
- It is also effective in treating diseases of eyes and jaundice.
- It cures impaired digestive fire.
- It gives relief in a bleeding disorder.
- It is used in the treatment of gastric ulcers, anemia, jaundice, dyspepsia, eye disorders, greying of hair, constipation, distension of abdomen due to obstruction to the passage of urine and stools, impaired digestive fire, bleeding disorders.
- Antacid, Stomachic & Haematinic. Indicated in hyperacidity, abdominal, colic, gastric ulcers, anemia & dyspepsia. Specific remedy for obesity
- Dhatri Lauha has Diana (appetizer) Rachana (digestive), short-shodhak (channel cleanser), tridoshaghna (body humor specifier), Raktavardhak (one which increases blood), Rasayana (rejuvenative) and balya (one which increases strength) properties.
- It is used in treating a wide variety of gastric and intestinal complaints.
- For people suffering with gastritis, this medicine is advised before food.
- To relieve constipation, abdominal colic, it is administered in between food.
- To relieve food poisoning effects, it should be taken after food.
- It is also very good for eyes
- It is a good natural anti aging medicine, used for rejuvenation.
Uses of Dhatri Lauha
- Hyperacidity, Amlapitta
- Abdominal colic
- Gastric ulcer
- Epigastric pain, acid eructation, epigastric and retrosternal
- Burning sensation
- Distension of abdomen due to obstruction to the passage of urine and stools
- It is very good for peptic ulcer syndrome, pain in abdomen, hyperacidity, anemia and Pitta imbalances.
- It is also useful as a regular supplement after the first trimester of pregnancy and lactating mothers.
- It helps in balancing the three doshas in our body.
- More especially this formulation used for data, Kapha disorders, like Pain in body, stiffness, ama disorders, anemia etc.
250 – 500 mg – 1 – 2 tablets once or twice a day before or after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.