User Review( votes)
Aquatic therapy, also known as hydrotherapy, is a technique which involves a set of exercises and movements performed in a pool, preferably heated, to provide relief from certain physical disorders and ailments. An aquatic therapy session may last up to 30-40 minutes depending upon patient‘s medical needs and physical abilities.
Aquatic therapy is helpful in treating the following conditions:
- Neuromuscular and skeletal disorders
- Pain and inflammation
- Balance and gait problems
- Postural deficits
- Orthopedic conditions such as Arthritis, back pain, spinal injury etc.
- Sore or sprained muscles
Benefits of aquatic therapy
- Improves blood flow within the body besides preventing pooling of blood in the extremities
- Improves cardiovascular functioning
- Improves posture and stability of the trunk or the lumbar region
- The hydrostatic pressure of the water slightly compress the skin, muscles and joints, which in turn aides blood circulation as well as helps to decrease swelling in the lower extremities.
- The viscosity of water helps improve muscle tone and strength
- The respiratory system and supporting muscles become stronger as exercising in water requires a lot of exhalations
- Water offers a comfortable and therapeutic medium for exercise to those who find it difficult to work out on hard surfaces
- Aquatic therapy is an excellent form of resistance exercise, without the use of any weight training equipment. The patient is required to exert more pressure to perform a specific movement, which helps to tone the muscles without causing any pain.
- The joints are much less pressurized during the therapy. The increased blood flow prevents the buildup of lactic acid in the muscles, thus avoiding fatigue and cramping. The therapy also prevents overuse injuries by reducing the level of stress on muscles, cartilage, or connective tissue.
- Enhances flexibility
- The patient can exercise comfortably for a longer duration as the buoyancy of the water reduces physical stress and the effect of gravity
- Boosts the confidence of the patient as he/she feels less pain and stress while exercising and the range of motion is improved manifold